What’s the number one thing you hate about selling?It’s probably rejection.
As humans, no is the hardest word to hear. We want people to say yes. We want them to like us. We want them to fall in love with what we have to offer – we love it, why shouldn’t they?
When they say no, it fills us with doubt. Then we start questioning everything around us.
Is our business set up wrong?
Are our prices to high?
Are we not offering the right stuff?
Do they not like me?
Did I come across as too [rough, mean, uncaring, etc]?
It’s hard not to take things personally. But as a business owner, there is one thing you need to learn:
It isn’t about you; it’s about them.
They could be rejecting you because:
1. The offer isn’t right for them.
2. The price is wrong for their budget.
3. They don’t believe in your message.
4. They already have someone else in mind – they’re going through the steps of looking at other photographers simply to confirm they are making the right choice for them.
5. They don’t like your photography – that’s okay, your unique style should never please everyone.
6. They are bad at making decisions.
7. They have no idea what they really want.
8. They are having a bad day and aren’t ready to make a decision.
And in every one of these cases, it’s okay that you don’t close the sale. This person isn’t right for you. You are better off spending your time on someone who loves what you do and what you have to offer.
Remember, a no isn’t rejecting you. It’s simply a way of telling you that they aren’t ready to close the sale. Leaving room for someone else who is.